Graves at St Bartholomew's listed here
Click each name to discover their story
- William Lawson
- John and Isabella Luke
- Nelson Simmons Lawson
- George and Elizabeth Leabon
- George and Blanche Weston
- James and Mary Ann Watts
- Joseph and Ethel Hicks
- Rev. George Middleton
- Rev. William Knox
- Bettington Family
- Rev. Frederick Jones
William Lawson Vault Restoration
photos: William Lawson Vault before and after restoration.
In 2003 Blacktown City Council undertook Stage 1 of the conservation works which involved the reconstruction of the northern wall of the vault, which was collapsing and causing material to fall onto the coffins inside.
The cost of that project was $36,000 which was funded by Council with the assistance of a Heritage Office of NSW of $10,000.
In 2004 Council was awarded a National Trust Heritage Award for the project.
In 2012 Council made an application under the Australian Government's Your Community Heritage Program 2011-2012, Part 5, - Commemorating Eminent Australians, for a grant towards Stage 2 Conservation Works for the vault.
Their application for the maximum amount available, $10,000 GST exclusive was successful.
Stage 2 of the project involved repairing the cracked altar slab and sandstone picket fence surround, repairing the cracked topping to the vault surround, installing drainage holes to the vault surround and white washing of the altar top.
The estimated cost of the project, including consultant fees and reporting requirements for the grant was $33,000 plus GST.
John and Isabella Luke
John was born on 14/10/1810, the son of two convicts, James Ridley and Martha Luke. James and Martha never married and their three children in their early years were known by both names, Ridley and Luke. In later years the name Luke persevered.
In 1831 John married Maria (Mary)Tate at St John's, Parramatta.
Maria died soon after giving birth to their 6th child, William in 1842.
On 4/9/1843 John Luke married Isabella Clarkson aka Saunders at St Bartholomew's. Isabella, who had been looking after John's young children, was 55 and John was 31.
Isabella had arrived in the colony as a convict in 1808.
1872 Grevilles Post Office Directory lists John Luke as a Farmer at Seven Hills.
On 21/9/1875 John died at age 65 and was buried St Bartholomew's.
On 9/9/1876 Isabella died and was buried St Bartholomew's.
Her headstone lists her age as 94, but family researchers believe this to be incorrect.
Nelson Simmons Lawson
Nelson Simmons Lawson was the third son of William and Sarah Lawson, born 26 May 1806, on their return voyage from Norfolk Island to Sydney, via New Zealand. The ship was the Lady Nelson, commanded by Captain Simmons. Nelson was baptised on 20 April 1810.
Nelson was sent to England to be educated, arriving there on the Marshall Wellington in 1823.
c1810 William Lawson had bought the 75 acre farm in Prospect that had been granted to Lt. William Cummings in 1799, and was known as Mt Pleasant. On 10 November 1836, William Lawson conveyed this property to Nelson Simmons Lawson, who soon after commenced to build a house on the acreage. The house and estate were known as 'Grey Stanes'.
Nelson Simmons Lawson was elected to the Legislative Council on 4 August, 1848 and remained a member of the Council until his death in 1849.
Nelson Simmons Lawson married Honoria Mary Dickinson on7 January 1836, they had five children. Honoria died 13 June 1845, at Grey Stanes, aged 26 years.
In1846 Nelson married Sara Anne Kirk. They had no children.
Nelson Simmons Lawson died 3 February 1849.
George and Elizabeth Leabon
George Leabon was born 1804 in Suffolk, England.
On 24/3/1828 he was tried at Bury, charged with house breaking. George was sentenced to be hanged; this was commuted to transportation for life.
On 24/12/1828 he arrived in the colony on the Royal George. He was described as 5'4'' tall, dark ruddy complexion, and black to grey hair, brown eyes, and mole on his chin, age 24, he could read and write, was Protestant and single. His occupation was a shoe maker.
George was assigned to William Hayes at Eastern Creek.
In 1836 he was granted a ticket of leave in the Parramatta district.
On 1/12/1837 at St John's. Parramatta, George was married to Elizabeth Burnham from Prospect. They had eleven children.
Elizabeth was born 1823 in NSW, the daughter of two convicts, Edward Burnham and Mary Sheering / Shearing/Metcalf. The Burnham property was in the area now known as Glenwood, where there is a Burnham Street..
1844 George received a conditional pardon.
January 1871 he purchased by auction 164 acres of the Church and School estate, the land fronted Blacktown Road.
George died 24/3/1877 at age 73.
Elizabeth died 21.7.1891 at age 68.
Leabons Lane and Leabon Walkway, both on the family's original land, are named after the Leabon family.
George and Blanche Weston
George Weston was a Captain in the East India Company; he had travelled to NSW to assist his brother's wife when his brother died.
In 1829 he married Blanche Johnstone at St James Church Sydney.
Blanche was the youngest daughter of Major George Johnstone, who had led a small group of the NSW Corps and volunteers to successfully quell the Irish Rebellion, now known as the Battle of Vinegar Hill. Major Johnstone had received a grant of land from Gov. King which he named King's Gift. Blanche inherited the property.
George named the property Horsley (the suburb of Horsley was named after the property). George and Blanche built a colonial style home, which still stands, now in private hands.
George and Blanche had seven children.
After George's death in 1856, Blanche managed the property until her own death in 1904, at the age of ninety eight.
The headstone of John Douglass is at the side of the Weston Vault, the headstone shows that John Douglass was for thirty five years a faithful servant of Captain Weston.
James and Mary Ann Watts
James and Mary Ann Watts, who worked at Veteran Hall when they first came to the Colony, later established a General Store in the Prospect Village. In 1867 James became the Postmaster and built a brick building c1890, which housed the Store and Post Office. James, who had trained as a butcher in England, built a butcher's shop with sawdust insulation in the roof and walls, next to the Post Office. A mincing room and smokehouse were also built. James bought land along Blacktown Road, where he operated a slaughterhouse and holding pens.
When James died in 1898, his widowed daughter Harriet Higgin took over the position of Postmistress until 1910, when her brother George purchased the property and his daughters Ethel and Georgina were appointed Postmistress and Assistant Postmistress. When Ethel resigned in 1915, Georgina became Postmistress until she resigned in 1946. This made a total of 79 years that a member of the Watts family had operated the Prospect Post Office.
Joseph and Ethel Hicks 1872 - 1939
Joseph Hicks ran Bridestowe, a dairy farm on the Great Western Highway, (now Reservoir Rd), Prospect. Joseph had a prize-winning herd of Jersey cows. Some of the original dairy buildings can be seen at the back of the property. In 1908 Joseph won Reserve Champion milking cow at the Royal Agricultural Show in Sydney. He supplied milk to Parramatta Mental Hospital and Parramatta Hospital. Cows from the Bridestowe Dairy held many Australian records for milk and butterfat production
Joseph was a foundation member of the Blacktown Agricultural Society, and then President of the Society for 15 years; he was also a Patron of the Prospect School of Arts, the Blacktown R.S.L. Association and the Blacktown Hardcourt Tennis Association. Joseph was also a member of the Royal NSW Lancers and a member of the Metropolitan and Suburban Dairymen's Association and the Australian Jersey Herd Society. He was also interested in trotting horses, breeding many good ones over the years. Robert's Image, who he co-owned with Mr. S.G. Evans, was the Champion Trotting Stallion at the 1935 Royal Agricultural Show.
The high esteem in which the community regarded him was evident by the presentation of an engraved gold medallion on 1 December 1912, which is now in the possession of one of his great granddaughters.
On 18 July 1894 Joseph married Ethel Hibbard Hayes, who was the gt gt granddaughter of two First Fleet convicts, SusannahHufffnell and William Baker.
Joseph was the gt grandson of First Fleet convict Edward Goodin.
Joseph died on 1/5/1939.
Ethel died on 7/9/1948.
Rev. George Middleton
Rev. George Middleton was Rector of St Bartholomew's from 1891 to 1905.
He was born in Australia on 20 March, 1844, the eldest son of Rev. James Middleton, of Bellevue Hill. Rev. Middleton was ordained on 7 July, 1867 and was Priested in 1869 by Bishop Barker.
His first appointment was to St Paul's at Cobbitty. .
Before coming to the St Bartholomew's in 1891, Rev Middleton held an appointment at Emu Plains and Castlereagh.
After leaving the parish of Prospect with Seven Hills in 1905, he worked at St. Peter's, Cooks River, where he was the third Moore College graduate to have been appointed there. He stayed at St Peter's until his retirement in 1914.
Rev. Middleton married Catherine Blake Smith in 1870. They had six children.
Rev Middleton died on 7 September, 1915.
Reverend William Knox
Reverend Knox was born 1856 at Florence Court, Enniskillen, Ireland. He was ordained in 1881 by the Bishop of Killmore.
In Ireland he worked as Curate at Killasnett, curate and rector of Killeshir, and was associated with St. Thomas' Church, Dublin.
He married Marie May Stuart Adams.
In 1908 the family moved to Sydney, Australia.
He was initially appointed assistant priest at St Johns Cathedral, Parramatta. He was later founding Rector of the Anglican Church, Westmead.
The family lived at Killeshir, Westmead.
1908 he was acting Rector at St Mary Magdalene.
Rev Knox died 25 December, 1916 at age 60 years at Killeshir, Westmead and was buried at St Bartholomew's after a service at St John's, Parramatta. There is a memorial stone to Reverend William Knox in the St John's Cathedral.
Marie Stuart Dennis died 12 January, 1947 at 83 and is buried at St Bartholomew's, with her first husband.
Two of Rev. Knox's son's names are recorded on the WW1 Memorial Arch at St Johns Cathedral, Parramatta.
Charles William, 2nd son, 29th Batt, killed Ypres 26.9.1917 age 22. Arthur Stuart, eldest son, late 12th Light Horse died at Griffith, 18.2.1925, age 33 and is buried at St Bartholomew's.
Eric Douglas John, youngest son, died 27.8.1918 at 17, and is buried at St Bartholomew's.
James Brindley Bettington 2nd was born at Veteran Hall, Prospect on 1 April, 1837. His parents were J.B. Bettington and Rebecca, nee Lawson, a daughter of William Lawson.
When he was aged 20 his father died and he took over management of 'Brindley Park', Merriwa.
On 30 July, 1864 he married his cousin, Caroline Sophia Hallen, a granddaughter of William Lawson. They had 13 children, 6 died at a young age. James was one of the founders of the Sydney Jockey Club, a member of the Sheep Breeders Association and Agricultural Society, Director of the Pasture Protection Board, President of the Merriwa Hospital Board and the Merriwa Show Society.
When in Sydney the family stayed with his mother, Rebecca at Oatlands. After Rebecca died in 1882 the family moved from Merriwa to Oatlands.
In this grave are the remains of J. B. Bettington 2nd who died 22 December, 1915 Caroline Bettington who died 13 December, 1923, their son Charles Septimus who died 21 May, 1895 and their daughter-in-law, Una Gertrude who died 26 November, 1917.
All were originally buried at the family cemetery at Oatlands. Oatlands was sold by the family in 1926 and the bodies were interred at St Bartholomew's Cemetery on 17 November, 1927.
Rev. Frederick Jones
Frederick Jones was born on 11 January, 1901 in Eccles, Lancashire, England. He sang the Church choir, and was a Sunday School Teacher for 5 years and a member of the Parochial Church Council. After leaving school he was apprenticed as a mechanical engineer.
In 1924 Frederick arrived in Australia. He enrolled as a student of the Bush Church Aid Society and became a Lay Assistant in the Parish of St Stephen's, Port Kembla. He also worked at the Ford Motor Company.
1926 he graduated from Moore Theological College.
1927-1928 he was the Curate and Priest in charge of the parish of Croajinalong, Gippsland.
1929-1931 he worked for the Bush Church Aid Society.
1932-1933 he was Curate of St Matthews, Bondi.
1934 he was Curate of St Silas, Waterloo.
1935 at St Saviour, Bankstown he married Mabel Lillian Hinchcliffe. Reverend Jones and his wife adopted a baby boy, Robert Frederick, in 1937. They had a daughter Caroline Mary in 1939.
1938 he was the Rector of St Bartholomew's, with an income of 310 pounds with a house.
16.11.1939 Reverend Jones collapsed at a church meeting at St Bartholomew's and died in hospital. 17.11.1939 Rev. Jones was buried at St Bartholomew's at age 38.
He was the last Rector to live in the 1860's Rectory which was built on 11 acres of land given by Sarah Ann Lawson, widow of Nelson Simmons Lawson.